Navigation Bar

Sunday 30 December 2018

TWENTY-NINETEEN

"We obsess with memory and we obsess with the future. 
That's what intelligence is, the ability to see the future, 
to simulate the future in complex realistic ways." 
- Michio Kaku


As another year draws to an end, we find ourselves reflecting on the past 365 days and begin to create new goals for the next 365...

I was on a flight either to or from Sydney for work when I was listening to a podcast interview with Michio Kaku. He said "We obsess with memory and we obsess with the future. That's what intelligence is, the ability to see the future, to simulate the future in complex realistic ways." It may be from the same interview with the same man but he compared humans to dogs. How we are more intelligent than animals because we have the ability to think about the future, to somewhat grasp it I suppose. Whereas dogs cannot. They don't plan for tomorrow, they don't think: "What should I get up to tomorrow?".



I was at the shops yesterday and saved a little girl from injuring her eyes when she almost walked into a moving trolley with a photo frame sticking out of it. And it struck me. Children are the same. They don't think about the future, or consequences really. They do not yet have the intelligence to grasp the concept. Why else is it so difficult to teach a child maths? To them it's not relevant and has no purpose or reason. They can't see into the future into the benefits of what they are learning. Children (and some adults) do reckless things because they can't plan for the future. Everything is short-sighted and living in the present. That's why they are stress free (children, dogs etc.) and are so happy. But that is not how you grow and survive in an every changing society/world.

You know all those motivational quotes about the importance of vision, how it's the first step to creating reality? Well I honestly believe in that. Without first picturing what future you want, how else are you suppose to execute every step in the present towards that direction. Without simulating the future, you are directionless. Hard work is important but without vision and direction the hard work is (almost completely) futile. Imagine pushing a heavy boulder around in circles. It's hard work but you are not going anywhere. That is not to say you should sit around perfecting your vision before you start doing the work, for all you know you might never perfect your vision. Perfection is for the scared people looking for excuses to sit around. Pushing that heavy boulder (no matter what direction) makes you stronger so that when you finally figure out your direction, you have the strength to push it in the direction you want. 

2018 was an amazing year for me and I hope it was for many of you reading this. Even if it was not (like my 2015/16), I hope you learned a lot from it in order to catapult you into a great 2019. In 2018 I landed a great full-time job working with amazing people on fascinating cases, my watch business (Christiaan & York) has and continues to grow, I committed to a major life decision without much thought and bought my first home, and life with family, friends and S have been smooth as butter. I always try to check myself despite taking time to remain grateful for everything that I have. Despite how great everything is, I remind myself not to be fearful of whatever life may throw my way (as life always loves to do). Remain a fighter with the upmost resilience. 2019, whatever you have planned for me. I'm ready for you!


H&M Red Sporty Dress / Adidas Stan Smith Sneakers / Christiaan & York Verona Luxe 

2 comments:

  1. What lovely photos at the end there! You make a cute couple! :)

    I'm glad 2018 was a good one for you! It's a good point you make in your post - we can see the purpose behind hard work if we have a goal in mind at the end of it all!

    Hope that you had a wonderful Christmas and you're having a nice end to 2018 :) Christmas was busy but fun here as I hosted it for the family. Enjoying more family time now as I am still on leave from work.

    Away From The Blue Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mica! :)

      Glad to hear you had a fun Christmas with family. Same here, I still have one more week off, cherishing the time as much as possible.

      Hope you have a amazing New Year!! xxx Louise

      Delete

Blogger Template ADAPTED FROM The Sunday Studio. All rights reserved. © 2015 The Faceless Style