Navigation Bar

Thursday 25 July 2019

EMPIRE STATE OF MIND

"Something's always happening here. 
If you're bored in New York, it's your own fault."
- Myrna Loy


As I'm getting more and more entrenched into the professional world (especially in the legal industry) I find it harder and harder to be expressive on this public medium. I used to write journals anonymously on an online artwork community - the only thing holding me back was my fear of speaking ill thoughts into existence. Now? I feel the world watching... judging... Ghostly whispers of "Perth is so small" in the back of my mind, repeating constantly. (You know what is not so small? New York. To that, I will get back to later on this page). On some rare occasions I hear about people reading my words, people I've only met for the first time, and it makes me feel so extremely naked. The fact that they could know about my deep 2 am thoughts when I talk to them for the first time at some party and I would know nothing about them... And you know whose fault that is? Mine. Yet here I am doing the same thing... writing not so anonymously on a not so private medium.

It's weird.




Why do I feel the need to write so publicly to people who know, or may know me, instead of doing what I used to do - write anonymously to readers from the other end of the Earth (and sometimes no audience at all)? Maybe I'm brave enough not to hide anymore but I doubt that greatly. If that was so I would say all these 2 am thoughts to your face, whoever you are that's reading this right now. 

I'm still trying to figure it out. 


But here's a real 2 am thought for you. I used to think everyone loved talking and having people listen to them. They love to feel like others care. That's what makes them feel good and that's how you get them to like you. So that's what I did, I became the listener when I met new people (heck I still do that now when I'm feeling lazy and resort to the yes-man, it's safe). Listening is important but it only goes so far to building a bond. For the more intelligent people, a yes-man will not amount to anything. The intelligent people want to share ideas, they want to hear what you have to say, your perspective. The real key to building a bond? Vulnerability. It's your truth. Meeting new people? Just be real. Be yourself. Be respectful, kind and share your truth. Also because f*ck it. Life is short. Every day you are closer to death.


My last post was in February. Five months ago. Yet it felt like a year ago. Time flies and it freaks the hell out of me. The way it slips through my fingers like water. You try to catch it and stop it from falling away but helplessly you just watch it slip through the cracks of your fingers. Before you know it you're 50, then 70, then 90, then on your death bed thinking where did the time go? My fear of death explains my fear of regret and intense desire to travel all the time. Which brought me to America recently. 3 weeks 6 cities. And tonight I bring you to New York City through my photos.


If there was a place you must visit before you die - I'd say New York City for the sheer fact that it's known as THE city and no matter how overrated it can be, you ought to discover it for yourself and form your own opinion on why this world portrays it as such.


2 comments:

  1. I would love to visit new york one day! Your pics look great! :)

    I find it weird when people mention they know my blog in real life, but I'm not very hidden about it, so it's not surprising. it's fun and frivolous and I don't expect many people to ask about what I've written as it's just clothes, hehe! It's my little girly break in a house of boys!

    Hope that your week is going well :) I have a night out with friends tonight I'm looking forward to! :)


    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mica for the continued support!! New York definitely is a must visit place - it's fascinating seeing so many different people crammed into such small land living so many different lives all at once.

      Definitely nice to have some form of break away from all the boys.

      Hope you are well and had fun on your night out with friends - you definitely deserve it! :)

      Delete

Blogger Template ADAPTED FROM The Sunday Studio. All rights reserved. © 2015 The Faceless Style