Navigation Bar

Tuesday 12 June 2018

PRAGUE: THE GOLDEN CITY

"Never let the odds keep you from doing what you
 know in your heart you were meant to do.
H. Jackson Brown, Jr.


Prague, the Golden city. The perfect place to spend Christmas... surrounded by Christmas spirit and cheer: Christmas lights, trees, markets and my first gingerbread man (well... bear). My European edition of blogposts has finally reached Christmas, and it's already mid-year now. Why am I talking about Christmas in June? To think only 6 more months until Christmas 2018!

Forgive me but I feel like I need to take a breather this fortnight (more like right now, as I collate my thoughts). For a minute I felt so overwhelmed by the hectic past week (my Christiaan & York watches have been selling out - OH! Just got another sale~) that I had no clue where to draw inspiration from for this fortnight's article. I just hope I don't burn out. I'm always like this, an ambitious heart who takes on too much and then it reaches a point where I start turning things down and saying no, probably for the best. Health is most important.



The past few weekends I've been busy catching up with people every day, always up to something. But with the watch business picking up and full-time work fatigue accumulating, I took this weekend to wind down a little bit and sort life out - watches and blogging. I sit here now on a Sunday night on my bed, laptop on lap, looking at the sticky notes Blu-tacked onto the side of my table facing my bed: "Persevere", "Don't Quit!"... 

As so much of my blogging is a journal of my life in areas of love, study and every other life-struggle related topic, I feel it is only right to document this. Because I would hope one day people will look at me and think that I've done the impossible, and rethink - it is possible, because I've done it. Started as a 22-year-old with a passion for creation, started her own business single-handedly and then it to turn into something incredibly huge.  


I don't know what the future of Christiaan & York will be, but I've been getting sales every day for the past week. That is a HUGE milestone considering for the past year I've barely sold any at all. People ask me how is the watch business going? And slightly embarrassed I would simply reply: "Yeah good, slow but steady." Indeed it was slow, I would get no sales for months in between. And then one or two here and there. 

I say steady because I was/am confident that no matter what, I would have learned a lot from this which would lead to a greater chance of success in my next business venture. I know not every first business venture is a success, I know this because I've seen it through my own father and older brother. But still I had so much passion for this idea, and I saw the potential, I was not ready to give up. And I am so glad I have not given up, because now I'm looking into the next step of introducing a new style of watches! And to slowly expand and grow the business further!


I really hope one day I can look back with a million/billion-dollar business and say that I started as a 22-year old girl with a vision and perseverance. Even if something happens and the end-point does not turn out to be a business in selling watches and maybe a business in something else instead, at least I can say I started now

Every time someone new finds out about this side-project I've been investing my time in, and gets very excited and shocked, it feels like the first day all over again. I remember once again how crazy it sounds to be doing something like this. And same goes for every time I get a sale, that phone notification gives me a giant adrenaline rush every time! A euphoric sensation.


And there is still a long long way to go. But a start is a start, and I wish to keep my visions top secret for now. However, I would love all the support I can receive - whether that is a purchase of one of my watches, a word of mouth to your friends and family, or a simple follow on my Christiaan & York Instagram and Facebook page. Any form of support is much appreciated! (OH! And another sale~)


On that note, I will now like to talk a bit about Prague before I conclude this fortnight's article. Maybe it's the 6 month gap, or maybe it just wasn't as amazing as the other cities I've adventured upon, but I don't have much recollection of this city. Seeing photos now I begin to remember the beautiful colourful buildings and the truly artistic 'Dancing House' and the giant spinning head of Kafka. Prague felt a bit like I was immersed in a story book, with a political backdrop - kind of like Animal Farm (where it's so beautiful and simple but look deeper and there's so much significance in everything). Prague was beautiful, don't get me wrong!  

One of the most memorable moments was witnessing some amazing history such as the Jewish cemetery. The cemetery struggled with a lack of space over the centuries and since the Jews were not allowed to abolish old graves, sometimes it was necessary to add a new layer of soil on top. There are therefore places in the cemetery where there are as many as 12 layers which exist. With over 100,000 Jewish bodies buried below the medieval headstones, this explains why the cemetery is raised several meters higher than the surrounding streets. The gravestones are also very dense. It is fascinating to think many commemorate individuals who are buried several layers further down, below several other individuals. 


We also witnessed the astronomical clock, known as one of the world's most overrated and underwhelming tourist attractions. First being the Mona Lisa, which I have still yet to visit Paris and see for myself (apparently because it is so small in person). However, to be fair, if you do go see the astronomical clock, go with a tour guide because he will explain the intricacies which makes it so much more fascinating. Legend has it that the clockmaker Hanuš was blinded on the order of the Prague Councillors so that he could not repeat his work. He therefore disabled the clock and no one was able to repair it for the next hundred years. Like many of the tourist attractions in every other city, we often overlook how amazing something is. Appearances don't do anything justice, it is the history and facts behind everything that gives it that phenomenon value.

Same goes for people... we all have our stories...

4 comments:

  1. Very nice pictures of that beautiful city!

    https://4highheelsfans.wordpress.com/2018/06/08/royal-greenhouses/

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with Prague. It's an amazing and beautiful city!
    xx

    http://www.mybeautrip.com

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template ADAPTED FROM The Sunday Studio. All rights reserved. © 2015 The Faceless Style